How Covid-19 is Affecting WA and LAU Students

Giacomo Carra on Unsplash

Have any thoughts about this global pandemic? Share in the comments below!

The Burger Gazette Staff and Stephanie Campbell

Approximately two weeks ago, high school students were attending their normal classes, planning their end of the year trips and tours, going to tryouts and practices for sports and competitions, hanging out with their friends, starting their countdowns until summer, shopping around for their prom dress, and planning graduation, hangouts, and parties. 

Everything was normal. 

Then our world changed.

On March 11th, President Trump addressed the U.S. explaining that we are in the middle of a global pandemic and advised citizens to avoid gathering in groups of more than ten people. In response to that, pretty much anything that involves more than ten people has been canceled or postponed. 

All because of a virus called Covid-19.

What is Covid-19?

Taken from CDC.gov website: 

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that spreads from person to person. 

The virus that causes COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that was first identified during an investigation into an outbreak in Wuhan, China. 

The virus that causes COVID-19 probably emerged from an animal source, but is now spreading from person to person. 

The virus is thought to spread mainly between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet) through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. 

It also may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads. 

Patients with COVID-19 have had mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of, fever, cough, and shortness of breath. 

There is currently no vaccine to protect against COVID-19. 

The best way to prevent infection is to take everyday preventive actions, like avoiding close contact with people who are sick and washing your hands often.

Along with these facts, the New York Times is tracking the coronavirus global outbreak and updating it daily. You can find the Coronavirus Map HERE.

How are Williamsburg Learning students affected?

Everyone in the world has been advised to stay at home and practice social distancing. But wait a minute, weren’t the students at Williamsburg already doing that? Most of us never leave our houses to go to school! We just sit at our desks in our rooms, in the sheets of our bed, or at the kitchen table surrounded by our loud siblings to attend class. Is social distancing even going to affect us? 

Ok, ok, you are right, we are still functioning humans in society (I hope). Most of you are probably part of sports teams, choir groups, debate teams, dance companies, drill teams, robotics club teams, etc. BUT NOW they have all been canceled! or been switched to online somehow (choir teachers are still figuring out how exactly students are gonna do choir online, it’s ok we will save them with our zombie choir skills ;D ). 

Amidst all this cancelation, you are left with no reason to leave your house. On top of that, some of us -who sorta got our lives together- have part-time jobs and stuff, but now our hours are being reduced leaving us even more young, dumb and broke. If you are a senior this year you were probably planning an epic senior trip (after you begged your parents to let you borrow money, of course), or you and your family travel a lot, but now airlines are shutting down, hotels are closing and states and countries around the world are going on lockdown. 

Junior and Senior Proms and other dances have been canceled leaving us with no way to hang out with our crushes *cry*. Concerts and large events have been postponed. The only reason you’d even leave your house is if your mom asked you to go scout out some toilet paper for your family of seven kids, RIP, good luck with life. 

Burgers around the world are forced to stay inside and do homework… oh wait, I mean we were definitely doing our homework already. Fortunately, Williamsburg Learning classes haven’t been canceled, we still have our beloved online classes to keep us sane. 

The most recent news about how our school is changing because of the Covid-19 pandemic has been emailed by Pete Jensen to all the students attending LAU specifically. In the email, he announced that all four sessions of Elevation this June have been canceled and the LAU graduation ceremony will be online-only this year. LAU Prom has been canceled and all Burger Meets and social events have been canceled. 

This is heavy stuff. 

But it will all be ok.

In an email by James Ure that was recently sent out to the students and parents at Williamsburg Learning, he writes, 

Winston Churchill said, ‘Never let a good crisis go to waste.’ Right now, we have an opportunity to follow through on that advice. The COVID-19 outbreak is causing massive uncertainty for all of us. For many of us, this makes it difficult to feel comfortable, to focus on normal things, or to be fully present with those we love. For those of us who may actually have COVID-19, or know someone who does, these feelings are only magnified. My heart goes out to everyone who’s been affected, directly or indirectly. I also want to invite you to consider this question: How are these challenges creating opportunities for us to GROW and SERVE each other in new ways?” 

Along those lines, Kenny Mears, one of LAU’s student Ambassadors recently shared a profound message, 

“I know times are tough right now, trust me, I’ve felt it myself. With all the bad news around every bend, with fearmongering prevalent everywhere, it may seem as though all hope is lost. But let me tell you all something. There is hope. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. You are the hope for the future. We love you here at the ambassadors. I love each of you. Feel free to reach out to me or any of the other WA or LAU ambassadors for support in these difficult times.” 

It’s all gonna be O.K.

Amidst all that is ensuing in our crazy world, there are some really awesome things we can all be doing to enrich our lives and the lives of others around us. We are a leadership principle-based school. Every day we strive to better ourselves by reading classic books, consuming wholesome learning resources, creating and living with good habits, and serving and uplifting each other as we prepare to become principled leaders. 

While we spend more time at home during this pandemic, let’s not forget to keep doing the things that prepare us to become the leaders of tomorrow. We will all be able to go back to high-fiving and hugging each other soon, don’t worry.

List of things you can do at home

-Develop your skills and hobbies

-Make goals so your future self doesn’t hate you

-Learn to love your family more and spend time with them

-Reevaluate your life

-Create a vision for who you want to be

-Catch up on school assignments

-Devote more time to school projects

-Maybe make the honor roll if you really try hard enough

-Remind yourself daily that state testing has been canceled, yay!

-Back to Get-To-Know your family more 😉

-Discover what true boredom looks like

-Get a break from your friends and realize that you miss them a lot *intense crying*

-Let the introvert inside of you shine

-Discover a new talent you have

-Read that giant list of books your leadership class mentor made for you last year

-Listen to audiobooks while you sanitize your house

-Get dreds because you forget to shower

-Take advantage of all those free 30-day trials and lowered prices that a lot of streaming and gaming services are offering right now

-Face-time your friends cuz you still miss them

-Make sure you are exercising and eating good food cuz your body is important 

-Go outside, the sun won’t hurt you, like hiking, biking, cloud gazing, or something

-Support local restaurants by ordering food through delivery services

-Wash your hands. All. Day. Long.

-Journal for your posterity so they can fawn over the fact that you lived through a world crisis

-Listen to music, HERE is a link to a Covid-19 Quarantine Party playlist, XD

-Support your friends and family during this crazy time

-Remember that it will all end soon and life will be back to normal in no time 🙂

One More Thing

I know you are probably sick of all the memes going around and all the stupid social media propaganda about the coronavirus, but basically those memes are the only reason we are getting through this. So here are some golden memes that we just couldn’t resist sharing with you: