The Still-Gangly-and-Awkward Senior Year

Zina Card, Editor, Journalist

I didn’t feel old until my Senior year hit. Do you know that feeling when you’re busy and you blink, and it seems like time just flew by? Well that’s what I feel like happened with my teenage years. Suddenly, my friends are getting married, going off to college, and mapping out their future. I knew this was coming, but I guess that I have been pulling a Peter Pan and trying my best not to grow up. Honestly, I still feel like I’m 13, super gangly, awkward and totally clueless about what is going on. I don’t feel like those super responsible Seniors that I looked up to when I was around 12 or 13 years old. They seemed so together and wise. And I guess, in a way, I am still gangly and awkward; because the next few years of my life will be spent figuring out who I am as a person all by myself, and it is a most terrifying and exciting adventure.

So here are some things that I have learned while trying my best not to grow up:

You will never regret doing something that is outside of your comfort zone. For instance, my friend convinced (more like dragged) me to ski during my Junior year. Now, to preface this, I have to tell you that I had never skied before in my life, and the thought of learning in front of 100 people who all were quite good terrified me. In addition to that, I am a swimmer and so things that are related to running are hated by me immensely. So, after the very painful (literally) process of learning how to skate ski, which took me at least a month and a good chunk of my pride, I actually started to enjoy it. Now, I wish I had started sooner.

Do not put off your homework for any reason. Seriously, I am a horrible procrastinator, and I justify it to myself by saying that it’s too easy, and if I do it at the last minute I’ll get a chance to really push myself. That’s totally bogus. You won’t regret getting good grades, and by leaving everything to the last minute, you are sacrificing the quality of your work. However, along those lines as well, take breaks because there is nothing as horrible as working on a project for hours on end to the point that you begin to hate it. Say no to procrastination.

Just stop caring what people think. It saves you so much time and effort. No matter what happens there are going to be people who you can’t please, so just be yourself and be happy so you don’t have to be miserable, try to be someone you’re not (and still unable to please everyone). I know that because a majority of us are home schooled, and that that fact makes it about ten time harder to make friends and fit in because we tend to be a little more shy and unsure about ourselves. The thing is that no one is half as perfect as they seem, and the people who think they are cool are not so.

So now that you have these lovely words of wisdom, you could take them and totally ignore them. However, in all sincerity, I say enjoy high school, work hard, and don’t grow up too quickly.