Back-To-School Trends, 2019

Now that the summer of 2019 has come and gone, teens all over the world are heading back to school. This time of the year always brings on new trends that everybody wants to be part of, so I'm here to tell you about the biggest trends this semester:

Back to Article
Back to Article

Back-To-School Trends, 2019

Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

Photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

Aryka Stump, Journalist

Now that the summer of 2019 has come and gone, teens all over the world are heading back to school. This time of the year always brings on new trends that everybody wants to be part of, so I’m here to tell you about the biggest trends this semester:

SOCIAL MEDIA

Tik Tok

I’m sure all of you have heard of this trend. This app is taking over the internet and being considered the ‘new Vine’. This app is used to make short 30 second videos dancing to a popular song or acting out funny skits. On Tik Tok, you can find teens of all ages. It is a great community of creators with their own hilarious ideas. Although, If you are using this app I still suggest you stay safe and never post any personal information on the app. 

“Celebrities as things” tweet threads

This is a meme that I personally love. It’s super popular right now and I highly recommend looking it up if you have no clue what I’m talking about. Basically, people compare celebrities in iconic outfits to objects or cartoon characters. My personal favorite is ‘Chris Evans as Doritos’.

Peppa Pig

You may have heard of the children’s show ‘Peppa Pig’. Though the show is for toddlers and young kids, it has become quite a meme in the teen world. There are a lot of different memes surrounding Peppa. They are super funny and a majority of the time, pretty wholesome. 

CLOTHES

Scrunchies

Scrunchies are easily the most popular accessory right now. Every teen girl has one, if not 20, in her house this year. The 90’s are coming back and these hair ties are the center of it all. 

Crocs

These extremely comfortable (although admittedly, unattractive) shoes are a guilty pleasure for a lot of us. Moms all over hate them and we once did too. When we were kids we got mocked for wearing them but now all the popular kids and even popular teen celebrities are wearing them.

Denim

This is a trend I can hop on board with! Denim is super popular right now and perfect for any weather. Not just denim jeans, but jackets, skirts, and even shoes are trending if they are denim. I think of you wear it right denim looks super cute and it’s perfect for a good back-to-school look.

MUSIC

Lizzo

This 31 year old artist is so talented and super popular. She has an amazing sound that is hard to find anywhere else. She recently hit #1 song on the Hot 100 with her song “Truth Hurts” (which is such a bop)! You may have heard her song “Boys” or “Juice,” which are some of her more popular songs. 

Billie Eilish

At only 16 her song “Ocean Eyes” went Viral. Since then she has released 2 albums and 25 singles. She released her album “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” last year and everyone fell in love. If you haven’t already, you should definitely listen to her music. 

Alec Benjamin 

He is a lesser known artist who is incredibly talented. He has a very unique sound with an indie pop vibe that is very catchy! You might have heard is song “Water Fountain.” If you haven’t heard of him, I totally recommend looking him up. You can thank me later!