The Burger Gazette

A Postcard from Egypt

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Postcard from Egypt

Photo courtesy of Shamma

Photo courtesy of Shamma

Photo courtesy of Shamma

Photo courtesy of Shamma

After returning from our trip to Jordan last spring, our family was committed to discovering more of the Arab World. As Arabs ourselves, it seemed only right to explore the beautiful places from our culture. To travel and discover the hidden gems within them. And so, we embarked on a journey to the land of the pharaohs to discover one of the world’s oldest civilizations: EGYPT!

Our trip began at a two-story building displaying the world’s largest collection of Egyptian artifacts; The Egyptian Museum! What better way to start off our trip then spending the day admiring pieces that were once used thousands of years back. In fact, there were over 120,000 objects displayed for us to admire! After buying our admission tickets we also requested a tour guide; something I would recommend if you really want to get the best out of the experience. We spent almost the whole day exploring the artifacts as our tour guide informed us more on the history of each piece. We even got the opportunity to enter the Royal Mummy Room!

A trip to Egypt is incomplete without a visit to one of the seven wonders of the ancient world; the pyramids of Giza! The mysterious yet extremely impressive man-made structures, whose sheer size only makes you wonder how they were able to move the pieces at a time with not many tools? At the time, kings were believed to have divine power. They held significant and well-respected positions. Thus, enormous pyramid tombs were built for them, so after their passing they would be buried with all the items believed to be necessary in preparation for the afterlife.

Whilst visiting the site, you have the opportunity of entering some of the pyramids, which I thought was an extraordinary adventure! Unfortunately, however, the adventure was cancelled because we had young children with us. The place is described as very narrow with not much air coming in, and so you would have to bend for the first couple of minutes until you reach the main area (not the best idea with young children.)

If you really want to get a sense of historic Cairo, a trip to the market is a must! “Khan el-Khalili” is a vast souk at the heart of Islamic Cairo. As you walk through the narrow alleys to the sights of locals sipping tea at the traditional cozy cafes and the sounds of shop owners calling you to their stores, it really feels as if you have traveled back in time! The vibrant open-air market has been thriving for centuries, and is beloved by both the locals and tourists alike. The souk is especially busy after the “Maghrib” prayer which occurs just after sunset, but the atmosphere is most magical at that time! The colored lanterns stand dazzling from afar and the stores selling everything from antiques, to spices, to souvenirs are so lively and jam-packed with people bargaining among the crowds.

Now, although our trip to Egypt was special in so many different ways there is one important thing you should know prior to your visit. A speed limit, traffic lights and crosswalks simply do not exist. The roads are shared by all; from buses to cars to horse carriages! I won’t forget all the times we had to cross the road to get to our hotel, the fear and adrenaline pumping through all our bodies as we linked hands and ran as fast as we could without looking back. Or the time we took a tuk-tuk on the main road and we all sat tightly squeezed together anxious and praying that we reach our destination safely. But if you ask me, it’s all part of the experience. If you really want to experience the authentic Egyptian lifestyle there’s no better way than doing it like the locals!

8 Comments

8 Responses to “A Postcard from Egypt”

1. Brielle Abbott on March 12th, 2019 10:05 am

Shamma! That is so awesome you got to go to Egypt!

2. Shamma Al Breiki on March 27th, 2019 4:17 pm

Awe thank you Brielle!!!

3. Jayden Longhurst on March 13th, 2019 3:57 pm

Shamma this is great! I love seeing how you have your entire family there and hearing about the experience that Egypt is now. Having this on the Burger Gazette I think is a gem. Thanks for writing this and giving the Williamsburg Community this taste!

4. Shamma Al Breiki on March 27th, 2019 4:19 pm

I’m so happy that I was able to share this experience with you and so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you Jayden!

5. Ross Gilbert on March 19th, 2019 1:06 pm

Shamma, thank you for helping me remember this amazing country. I was so fortunate to spend around 3 weeks on the Red Sea, climb Mt Sinai, and visit the pyramids of Giza and the valley of the kings back in 2000 with my wife while living in the Middle East. It is so full of history and so easy to imagine yourself back in time and what it would have been like. Great article, thank you so much.

6. Shamma Al Breiki on March 27th, 2019 4:16 pm

Thank you so much Mr. Gilbert! Your travels and adventures are always the greatest so I really appreciate this!

7. Shana G. on March 20th, 2019 1:56 pm

Shamma!!!!!!! This piece is wonderful!!! I absolutely love getting to hear about travels and now I really want to go to Egypt on my next adventure!!!! Awesome job!!! 🙂

8. Shamma Al Breiki on March 27th, 2019 4:08 pm

Thank you so much Shana! You definitely should! A trip to Egypt is the perfect adventure! I’m so glad you enjoyed it 😀

At The Burger Gazette, we review all comments before they are published on our website to ensure that all comments respect the honor code of Williamsburg Academy. Thank you for your patience. If your are not a Williamsburger or related to a Williamsburger then please do not post comments on this site. Thank you.

• A Postcard from Egypt

Academics

Farewell to Mr. Reynolds: Quiet Confident Optimism

• A Postcard from Egypt

Burger Universe

The Presidency

• A Postcard from Egypt

Cartoons

Student Share

• A Postcard from Egypt

Blog Spotlight

Quitting his job to travel the world- story of a Williamsburg mentor

• Inspiration

The Last Thoughts of a Graduating Senior

• Features

Ketch-Up W19 #2

• A Postcard from Egypt

Alumni

Burger Beginnings to a Globe Trotting Nanny

• A Postcard from Egypt

Academics

The Phases of Life

• A Postcard from Egypt

Features

Our Shot at Society

• A Postcard from Egypt

Features

Don Quixote and Embracing Your Inner Madman

The student news site of Williamsburg Learning Schools
A Postcard from Egypt