The Burger Gazette

100 Word Challenge

Back to Article
Back to Article

100 Word Challenge

Hello, Burgers!

The staff at The Burger Gazette would like to invite you to participate in our first ever 100 Word Challenge! What’s a 100 Word Challenge you ask? It’s a fun, creative,  flash fiction contest.

The Rules are Loose. Based on this photo you take up the challenge to write exactly 100 words in response. That’s it.  Write 100 words however you like.  Make it a long haiku, write a short vignette, tell a true story, relate it to your day, describe the photo — it’s up to you!

Once you’ve written 100 words in the format of your choice, simply paste it as a comment for your fellow Burgers to enjoy!

That’s it. Sounds easy enough, but is it? Writing EXACTLY 100 words is the key. Good luck!

12 Comments

12 Responses to “100 Word Challenge”

1. Korbin Peterson on February 13th, 2019 5:54 pm

He woke up shivering. A cold layer of sweat shone, reflecting a beam of moonlight that shone through a crack in the roof. He lifted his hands, wincing as the cuffs rubbed at his raw wrists. The rattling of the chains rang unusually loud across barren factory. His arms trembled. He could tell that they hadn’t been used for weeks, possibly months. His stomach growled at him, rebelling against the past few days, food was not often delivered to him. The silence of the chamber was interrupted. A cold voice rang out, clear as a bell.
    “It’s been a while.”

2. Isaac Gull on February 19th, 2019 12:04 pm

As I stopped and looked through the jail cell door, I noticed how bleak these next few years would be. The draft was cold and brisk, even during the summer months. The walls were run down and it looked as if the ceiling was falling down. A ladder had already fell down on the floor and there was nowhere that one could be where there wasn’t danger of having something heavy fall down on you. It looked as if the world was taunting you through the thick windows as it was the only source of light in the depressing room.

3. Melina Brezenski on February 19th, 2019 12:05 pm

Deserted. The dark, dank room, its only light pathetic sunlight filtering in through dirty, broken windows, sent chills running up and down my spine. As I looked around, noticing the cobwebs, the broken glass, and fallen ladder, I feel unsettled. Stepping deeper into the room, I hate being alone. Nothing good happened here. I try not to imagine it. My feet scuff the dirty floor as I quickly turn to leave, the eerie feeling now too much. Suddenly, my heart stops. A cold hand falls heavily on my shoulder. I fear these are the last words I shall ever speak…

4. Abby B on February 19th, 2019 12:21 pm

I picked up the ladder, tripping over my feet. And dragged it over to the wall, “This seems dangerous” I whispered to myself. I climbed up two steps, the ladder wobbled. But I climbed higher, three steps. My weight was to much, the ladder tipped back, I jumped off, knowing I would fall on my back. “I’ll have to be faster this time.” I said in a small voice. If only I hadn’t threw my paper airplane up on that ledge. I scrambled up the ladder, reaching for my plane. I fell, backwards, I kept falling, until I woke up.

5. Naomi Tomlinson on February 19th, 2019 1:16 pm

I feel that this picture shows sorrow and grief, but that isn’t all it depicts. The main idea to draw from this is Overcoming those obstacles. In this life we are all going to experience the sorrow, grief, pain, and loss, and all for reasons that we don’t yet know. Yet, for the moment, we continue to press forward and keep going. Though all around may seem grey, dark, and dreary, look for the window, look for the way to keep going, because there is one.With our example we can spread the light to others and you. Find the joy.

6. Zakira Muhammad on February 19th, 2019 6:06 pm

I walked to school once again. As a vice president of the council I’ve made it my duty to go to School an hour early as not all the halls are cleaned during cleaning time. As soon as I got into school however I noticed some footprints leading to a room. In spite of my curiosity I went to the closet to grab the mop and bucket. I went back to the front doors to start cleaning. Then I ended up at room 1-13. I sighed and opened the door. Only to find myself at the front of a school?

7. Rachel Bankhead on February 21st, 2019 1:00 pm

My bare feet climbed the concrete stairs; the black wrought iron railings had been ripped off long ago. When I got to the second story I turned around and looked at the torn parking lot. The cars were somehow crashed into piles in the corners, the sidewalks and asphalt roads ware harshly cracked and the grass hadn’t been cut in years. I turned and walked to the beaten front door of my apartment. I managed to open the door, entering straight into the barren living room. It had been looted to the skeleton. How would I ever find the portal?

8. Elysia Olson on February 22nd, 2019 9:59 am

It came in flashes. A dark, dimly lit room. Shattered glass. I touched a dark-clad stranger and their memories were playing before me. Metal pipes, a rusted ladder on the floor, and dreary shadows in the corners. This has happened before, but this time the contact lead me someplace I wish I could unsee.
    Palms sweating.
    Breath short.
    The memory turns to look behind. My blood runs cold. Within the glass, standing
    behind my own reflection, is a figure I had not seen whilst observing the room.
    I realize then… that the stranger I had mistakenly touched… was death himself.

9. Ashlyn Erickson on February 22nd, 2019 1:35 pm

Hey all, this is my 102 Word Challenge:
    I entered the deserted room of my own free will. A room that gave the sense of longing to belong. I stared at the cluttered floor. It was as a barren warehouse. It held a sad emptiness. The kind of emptiness that is unfillable… as if, this space once had great potential, was starting its life’s purpose, when disaster came upon it, and its story was cut short. I wondered if such things had souls and feelings, and if they knew when unfortunate events were coming. This barren, beautiful empty room was once alive and loved, but now… a tragic unfinished story.

10. Kida N. on February 25th, 2019 7:58 am

I have no idea where I am or how I got here. All I know is I was walking to school and I forgot my phone, I went to go grab it by the bus stop because I thought I left it there. Then a young man
    came from behind me. I didn’t see the man’s face but he didn’t seem that much older then me. He had a black hat and a black hoodie with some jeans. I saw his lips curve into a smile before her grabbed me by the hair, I yelped and then I blacked out.

11. Victoria on February 25th, 2019 7:54 pm

Katherine stepped into the empty warehouse, taking a deep breath of the musty air.

The strike had started to gain momentum, but as it did, Snyder ended those prospects by taking the boys away.

Journalists were to have no loyalties – but those were children that were being mistreated. Of course Katherine’s heart would swell for them! They were like the warehouse she was in – an empty room filled with potential to become something great.

She had to do something for them. Taking one last breath, she took her camera and pen, heading out the door, ready to seize the day.

12. Kaydence M on March 13th, 2019 11:22 am

Beep… Beep… Beep…
    The cool light glinted off the metal of the machine I waved around in front of my face. I pointed to antennae of it towards were the most activity was shown, trying to remember what she looked like that fateful night.
    There was a shimmer in the air, like a mirage. Bouncy curls of hair framed a pale face, splattered with blood on one side. Her pale form floated slightly above the ground, watching me.
    Five years ago. It had been five years, and here I was, facing her again. I dropped the machine.
    “Charlotte, I’m sorry.”

At The Burger Gazette, we review all comments before they are published on our website to ensure that all comments respect the honor code of Williamsburg Academy. Thank you for your patience. If your are not a Williamsburger or related to a Williamsburger then please do not post comments on this site. Thank you.

• 100 Word Challenge

Academics

Farewell to Mr. Reynolds: Quiet Confident Optimism

• 100 Word Challenge

Burger Universe

The Presidency

• 100 Word Challenge

Cartoons

Student Share

• 100 Word Challenge

Blog Spotlight

Quitting his job to travel the world- story of a Williamsburg mentor

• Inspiration

The Last Thoughts of a Graduating Senior

• Features

Ketch-Up W19 #2

• 100 Word Challenge

Alumni

Burger Beginnings to a Globe Trotting Nanny

• 100 Word Challenge

Academics

The Phases of Life

• 100 Word Challenge

Features

Our Shot at Society

• 100 Word Challenge

Features

Don Quixote and Embracing Your Inner Madman

The student news site of Williamsburg Learning Schools
100 Word Challenge