The Burger Gazette

A Review of The Regrettes

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Review of The Regrettes

Warner Music Group

Warner Music Group

Warner Music Group

Warner Music Group

Zoe King, Journalist

I was introduced to The Regrettes earlier this week by a friend. At about 11 at night, I received a message that read “Yoooooo I think I found an extremely underrated band. They’re called ‘The Regrettes’ and I’m pretty sure I’m in love with them. But yeet skeet my dude Idk why I am telling you this but I thought I should share the blessing.”

It was enough to convince me, but in case you’re not sold, here’s a review.

The Regrettes was founded in 2015 by Lydia Night, Genessa Gariano, Sage Chavis and Maxx Morando. With a musical style similar to that of Grouplove’s, and snarky lyrics like The Brobecks, The Regrettes music has a very eccentric pop-punk sound.

The band also brings an empowering feminist edge to a lot of their songs, notably Seashore. In one interview, frontwoman Lydia Night states “Seashore pretty much sums up my feelings toward all of the people who have ever doubted me due to my age or my gender,” and the song does a really good job of getting that message across, especially with the hook: “You’re talkin’ to me like a child, But my words are growin’ stronger, And my legs keep gettin’ longer”

Other songs, like Hey Now! And Cold are about the ups and downs of teenage relationships. The fear and excitement that comes with falling in love, and the pain once it’s gone. Hey Now! Is very, I’d like to say hyper, and the fast paced lyrics mimics that nervousness and excitement, while Cold is almost a complete 180. It’s toned down, and the lyrics are delivered in a more powerful way, one of the most quotable lines being: “I wanna cry rivers and I wanna scream storms, But the weather’s too nice and my body’s too torn.”

At the end of the day, The Regrettes are really good at what they set out to do, which was to make relatable, empowering music about what it’s like to be a teenager.