The Burger Gazette

Song Review: NF’s “Mansion”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Song Review: NF’s “Mansion”

Photo Credit 1

Photo Credit 1

Photo Credit 1

LI-TE, Journalist

Lyricists are known for thinking deeply and coming up with great metaphors and this is also the main goal of rappers. There is perhaps no one as adept at this as rapper Nathan Feuerstein, A.K.A. NF. Today I will talk of one of the biggest metaphors to come out of NF’s music and that is the song “Mansion,” which was released from the same named studio album.

The song starts with a beautiful chorus sung by Fleurie that opens with the lines “Insidious is blind inception. What’s reality with all these questions?” This first line refers to how starting with an unknowing can be detrimental. The second line sends a bit of a contradiction by asking what the point of reality is if you’re always asking questions about it. Then, the chorus sings,

“Broken legs, but I chase perfection.

These walls are my blank expression.

My mind is a home I’m trapped in, and

it’s lonely inside this mansion.”

The first piece of this section speaks to how Nate feels broken and incapable, yet he is still going to chase his dreams. The next lines bring out how his mind is a harmful trap and how he feels all alone in it.

Then we enter into the first verse as NF begins to rap about his mind, which is represented by a mansion. In this mansion, there are lyrics everywhere. He talks of how each room contains its own story represented by the lyrics on the walls. He then tells us that the downstairs is where you get the darker side of his life.

He states,

“I put holes in the walls with both my fists till they bleed.

you might get a glimpse of how I cope with all this anger in me.”

Nathan is rapping about how the way he copes can sometimes be damaging to himself and his psyche.

He then talks about the room that is the center of his pain and rage which is rooted in the abuse he experienced. He says, “Wish I could take a match and burn this whole room to the ground. Matter of fact, I think I’ma burn this room right now. Somehow, this memory, for some reason, just won’t come down.”

He wishes he could destroy the memory of the abuse but for some reason he can’t burn it out of his mind. He then raps up the verse by saying that his abuser will always have a room in his mind but he’s going to “…lock the lyrics inside,” cutting people off from that experience.

The second verse talks about how Nathan tries to cover up his issues instead of solve them. Starting off by rapping, “See, my problem is, I don’t fix things, I just try to repaint. Cover ‘em up, like it never happened, say I wish I could change.”

These lines discuss how despite knowing his issues, Nate doesn’t change them; he just covers them up. He then talks about the room in which his regrets are stored. He tells us that this room always makes him feel sick but Nathan can’t look past his regrets because they’re in the same room where he sleeps. He then goes on to finish the verse by talking about some of his regrets.

In the third verse NF discusses his safe room by telling us he doesn’t let people in cause he’s scared they’ll leave. He says, “You might get other doors open, but this door’s not, cause I don’t want you to have the opportunity to hurt me.”

Nate is afraid of opening up to people about deep things because he’s afraid it will scare people away from him. He then goes on to talk about the fact that he built the mansion because he thought it would be safe, but it isn’t because he let fear in and fear won’t leave. At the end he wraps it up saying, “Is that me or the fear talking? I don’t know anymore,” revealing that he can’t tell the difference between himself and his fear.

There’s more to this song, and in my opinion, this song deserves a 4.5/5. “Mansion” has the potential to be a true powerhouse in the music world. The chorus has a beautiful eerie feel and the verses pack a sick flow of parables. All in all, this song is definitely a part of the A-tier list of rap songs.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Song Review: NF’s “Mansion””

1. Katerina Martin on April 10th, 2018 3:29 pm

I just got into NF and he is very quickly becoming one of my new favorites. He is christian so his lyrics can have heavy and deep messages without the explicit and vulgar words or pushing religious views. He has a personal connection with mental illnesses and can seem to find the words others feel they don’t know how to express, and he crafts them beautifully with a voice many others don’t have the platform for. Wonderful review! Mansion is one of my favorite songs and highlights the selected artist incredibly well.

2. Bj Olson on April 11th, 2018 12:28 pm

I LOVE NF!!!! This song is so relatable for both me and my older brother. We have been through a lot together so we’re super close now (no that doesn’t stop us from teasing each other)
    Both me and him have a deep fear of getting hurt so we let VERY few people close to us. I have a lot of friends, like a lot, but only a few know who i really am when I’m hurting and depressed. I love this song because I know I’m not the only one feeling this way.
    All those doors? Sure you can see inside this one and this one, but this one remains locked. Why? Because I don’t want to give you a reason to hurt me. And this isn’t just like “I cried for 3 days straight when I moved cause I missed my best friend” (I did do that, yes). This is like, “Am I wanted, am I loved, does anyone care that I hurt” except a whole lot deeper. Because I know the answers. OF COURSE! A lot of people do. But I’m scared that when I unlock those doors, years of hurt will come crashing down on me. I was adopted at 3 but before that I was tossed around to different home and such (my older bro was with me all the way…he’s actually my half brother cause we have different Dad’s but the same birth-Mom) Anyway, we went through a lot. We were adopted to our family and love them but don’t allow ourselves to get too close cause we just don’t want to be rejected and hurt again. When I was 10 I started getting depressed and suicidal. I’ve been dealing with that for 6 years. And yes, I’m still strong.
    This was super long, sorry but I relate so much to this “I wish I could change” I can. And will 🙂 <3 (This school has helped a lot)

At The Burger Gazette, we review all comments before they are published on our website to ensure that all comments respect the honor code of Williamsburg Academy. Thank you for your patience. If your are not a Williamsburger or related to a Williamsburger then please do not post comments on this site. Thank you.

• Song Review: NF’s “Mansion”

Academics

Farewell to Mr. Reynolds: Quiet Confident Optimism

• Song Review: NF’s “Mansion”

Burger Universe

The Presidency

• Song Review: NF’s “Mansion”

Cartoons

Student Share

• Song Review: NF’s “Mansion”

Blog Spotlight

Quitting his job to travel the world- story of a Williamsburg mentor

• Inspiration

The Last Thoughts of a Graduating Senior

• Features

Ketch-Up W19 #2

• Song Review: NF’s “Mansion”

Alumni

Burger Beginnings to a Globe Trotting Nanny

• Song Review: NF’s “Mansion”

Academics

The Phases of Life

• Song Review: NF’s “Mansion”

Features

Our Shot at Society

• Song Review: NF’s “Mansion”

Features

Don Quixote and Embracing Your Inner Madman

The student news site of Williamsburg Learning Schools
Song Review: NF’s “Mansion”