Make This School Year Rock

Back to Article
Back to Article

Make This School Year Rock

Bridget Lynn, Journalist

What’s cookin’ Burgers? Welcome to another school year. The upperclassmen on TBG staff decided that we would share our wisdom with the student body. Here are our snips of wisdom on how to have the best school year ever!

• Be engaged in your learning and participate as much as you can in classes.

• Do all the reading and preparation before each discussion so you can give input. Giving input allows you to gauge your own understanding and provides the opportunity for growth.

• Shove all your procrastination in a bag and drop it before the metal detector that’s at the start of the semester.

• Don’t get behind in your work.

• Go to bed and wake up in a timely fashion.

• Use the help of your mentors. They are there for you to receive help and advice.

• Don’t schedule assignments that require more alertness and comprehension during the time of day when you’re least focused.

• Watching videos of Justin Bieber’s mom is not a good use of your time.

• Find your work mojo. Do you work best in silence or with background noise? Do you comprehend readings when you read in your head or when you read aloud? Determine the academic strategies that work best for you and incorporate those into your learning experience.

• Don’t just try to get through education. Let education get through you.” – Mr. Denning

• Albert Einstein, Beethoven, Abraham Lincolnall of these people had just 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Guess what, so do you! Use your time wisely.

• Stay on top of your work, exercise self-discipline, don’t procrastinate, rewards come after work (not before), schedule out your long term assignments, participate in class. Go the extra mile for bonus points!

• In leadership classes, they’ll have SAR or best self-journals. Follow through with them to help you stay on track.

• Make sure you listen in your classes so you’re not confused on your assignments or future discussions.

• If you feel like giving up after receiving a bad grade, don’t. Take the upsetting news as a positive reminder that you can do hard things. Learn from your mistakes and push to do better.

• Finals and midterms won’t kill you, I promise. (Although it may help to always have ice cream on hand for stressful study nights.)

• Tell yourself this is going to be a great year. And then make it happen.

Reach upward, Burgers!